It takes a village to raise a forest

• It takes a village to raise a forest

Caitlin Cusack updated 8 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Caitlin Cusack

May 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm

How many people does it take to raise a forest?  Folks at the Willowell Foundation in Monkton have proven that it takes a village.  This spring over 200 students from Monkton and Vergennes planted over 700 seedlings to restore a marginal hayfield to clayplain forest.  Students picked up planting bars and found homes for oaks, dogwoods and maples in the rich clay soil on the shores of Pond Brook.  This adds to the 1200 seedlings planted by kiddos last spring.  The restoration area was retired from agricultural production to provide a buffer to a large northern white cedar wetland and Pond Brook and to create a wildlife corridor connecting the Hogback and Little Hogback forest blocks.  But what’s more important is that these youth had a chance to get outside, get their hands (and whole selves in some cases) in the mud and help plant a forest that they’ll be able to continually revisit.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar