DISSCUSSION: When Trees Fly…Will Your Town Be Ready?

• DISSCUSSION: When Trees Fly…Will Your Town Be Ready?

Kate Forrer updated 8 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Kate Forrer

Organizer
    July 10, 2012 at 8:27 pm

You’ve heard of the expression ‘when pigs fly,’  here’s a new twist:

On a recent field trip to the Asian Longhorned Beetle infestation in Worcester, MA, 18 agency staff, UCF advisory council members and VT Forest Pest First Detector learned first-hand what happens when trees fly.

Led by our trusty guides Marc and Joe, both with the USDA, we witnessed the removal of infested trees in a residential area. The goal of our visit was to see first-hand the response to the infestation and gather lessons learned.

Although our tour included much more than tree removals, such as a wood disposal yard (with emerging larva!), woods with infested trees still standing, climbers inspecting potentially infested trees, and a restoration project in a area where all ALB host trees had been removed, the removal of infested trees by a crane was by far the most striking reality check. To learn more about the Worcester, MA ALB infestation and the response click here.

As a program, we have been working collaboratively with partners preparing for the arrival of invasive tree pests.  Although I wish we could just simply leave the flying trees to our neighbors to the south, it is essential that we prepare for the inevitable.  One example of how we are preparing is the Forest Pest First Detector Program, a program that nurtures local leaders to assist with ongoing outreach, education and surveying efforts, and in the preparation for and response to invasive forest pests.  Since December 2011, we have trained over 60 First Detectors!

We loved to hear from you…how are you preparing for the likely arrival of Asian Longhorned Beetle or Emerald Ash Borer?  Have you made changes to what you are planting?

Learn how you can help stop the introduction of invasive tree pests in Vermont by going to http://www.vtinvaises.org.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar