Tree board gets a bigger stick

• Tree board gets a bigger stick

Neil updated 8 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Neil

Organizer
    September 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm

More powers to be added to new commission

NEWBURYPORT — Some residents can be known to express concern about the “intrusion” of government agencies in private life, but one municipal panel that appears to have been readily accepted is the Tree Committee.

The volunteer agency has supervised the planting of close to 800 trees here in the last decade, some on the perimeters of private property that enhances the look of the street and the value of the parcel.

In coming weeks, the “committee” is going to become a “commission,” and city officials will be looking for new members to serve on the recently constituted panel because some of these volunteers are not seeking another term.

The commission will have the formal power to supervise the treatment of public trees in the city, and will be able to hold hearings if there are issues between contractors and the city on tree removal (adjacent to a public sidewalk, for instance).

READ FULL ARTICLE

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar