Neighborhood Recognition program

• Neighborhood Recognition program

• Paul Ries

August 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm

A message from Gregory Huffman to all members of Tree Board University on American Grove!

We are in the planning stages of developing a voluntary award/recognition/certification program in our town which is designed to raise awareness of the urban forest and conservation efforts in various neighborhoods in the city. As we have been developing the criteria, we have to decide if we want to make it fairly simplistic (e.g. % tree canopy) which would by default give recognition only to older established neighborhoods. Or do we make it more holistic with a variety of tree planting and conservation design elements in the criteria (which could give credit to new neighborhoods that have incorporated the key criteria, but not actually seen the results that may be 20-40 years  down the road). Has anyone had experience with such a project and if so any comments or recommendations. We have named the award the Tree Legacy Neighborhood designation and want to raise urban forest awareness among citizens and builders/land developers.  If you know of any resources that would be he lpful that would be great. Can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar