Full-Time or Part-Time: Full-Time
    Salary Range: $45,484.40 to $61,244.56 Annually
    Bargaining Unit: 09
    Shift: Day
    Confidential: No
    Number Of Vacancies: 4
    City/Town: Worcester
    Region: CENTRAL
    Facility Location: DCR, Bureau of Forestry & Fire Control, MA ALB Eradication Program, 151 West Boylston Drive, Worcester, MA 01606-2753
    Application Deadline: 08-16-2012
    Apply Online: No
    Posting ID: J31813

This position is funded from federal grant funds.

Duties:

About the Department of Conservation and Recreation:

The Department of Conservation and Recreation manages one of the largest and most diverse state parks systems in the nation and protects and enhances natural resources and outdoor recreational opportunities throughout Massachusetts. The DCR system includes over 450,000 acres of parks, forests, water supply protection lands, beaches, lakes, ponds, playgrounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, trails and parkways.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation seeks qualified applicants for the position of Forester I.

The ALB Program Forester I is responsible for surveys, inventories and data collection of forest pest, and exotic invasive species; preparing and filing MA State Forest Cutting Plans and subsequent paperwork with the DEP, the appropriate Conservation Commission and abutters.

SPECIFIC DUTIES:

Uses appropriate methods to survey and manage insect pests, diseases and invasive exotic plants utilizing the knowledge of the lifecycles and control methodologies for exotic non-native insect and diseases that can affect Massachusetts forests.

Identify Asian Longhorned Beetle damage as well as all genera of host trees.

Prepare and file MA State Forest Cutting Plans and subsequent paperwork.

Oversee contractors responsible for tree removals of infested and high risk ALB host material for both residential and large forested areas.

Collects tree material samples for environmental monitoring of trees. Completes appropriate documentation and forms to accompany samples.

Conducts inventories of trees: identifies trees to species, measures DBH (diameter at chest height), records locations of trees using GPS equipment and maps, records data on paper, forms or electronic data recorders.

Work in a team environment, in both team lead and team member roles, working cooperatively with the USDA APHIS on the Asian Longhorned Beetle eradication duties including but not limited to preparation of reports, data collection and analysis, regulatory, quality assurance and other collateral duties as assigned

Based on assignment, incumbents may also:
    Work on administrative and/or clerical duties associated with ALB eradication and reforestation efforts.

Inspect ALB contractual activities by outside contractors working for the state and federal government.

As necessary, be required to work overtime and weekend tours of duty.

Perform other related work as required.

Qualifications:

Minimum Entrance Requirements:

Applicants must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in the field of forest resource management, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.

Substitutions:
    I. An Associate’s degree with a major in forest resource management may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*

II. A Bachelor’s or higher degree with a major in forest resource management may be substituted for the required experience.*

*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.

Special Requirements: Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.

Preferred Qualifications:

Forester License.
    Knowledge of the Massachusetts Forest Cutting Practices Act.
    Knowledge of Massachusetts Forestry and Best Management Practices.
    Knowledge of the principles and techniques of forest resource management and arboriculture
    Knowledge of the terminology and standard abbreviations used in connection with forest resource management
    Knowledge of the types, uses and proper care of materials and equipment used in forest resource management
    Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in forest resource management operations
    Knowledge of the terminology and standard abbreviations used in connection with arboriculture
    Ability to analyze tree health conditions and make arboricultural recommendations
    Ability to explain the provisions of laws, rules and regulations governing assigned unit activities

Comments:

This is a Civil Service position.

How To Apply:

Interested persons should respond in writing, accompanied by a resume, cover letter and a DCR Commonwealth of Mass. application for employment, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date to:

Penny Carney, Director of Human Resources
    Department of Conservation and Recreation
    251 Causeway Street, Suite 600
    Boston, MA 02114
    Attn: Harry Pierre-Mike

An application must be completed and returned with a resume. Resumes will not be considered without an application. Applications are available on the DCR WEB site at http://WWW.state.ma.us/DCR.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation, is an affirmative action employer, is committed to ensuring that all of its programs and facilities are accessible to all members of the public. It is the policy of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation not to discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation. Inquiries regarding compliance by the Department of Conservation Title IX and other civil rights laws may be directed to Human Resources at 617-626-1282. This document is available in other formats to accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities.

Agency Web Address:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/

Diversity Officer:

Ms. Agatha Summons-McGuire, Diversity Officer/ADA Coordinator, (617) 626-1282

An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar