Living Land and Waters Million Tree Campaign

• Living Land and Waters Million Tree Campaign

Shane Donegan updated 8 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Shane Donegan

March 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Living Land and Waters Million Tree Campaign :

The MillionTrees Project was initiated in 2007 to help further Living Lands &Waters’ mission to aid in the protection, preservation, and restoration of the natural environment of our nation’s major rivers and their watersheds; to expand awareness of environmental issues and responsibility encompassing our rivers; and to create a desire and opportunity for citizens to take an active role in helping to make a cleaner river environment. For the last ten years, LL&W has focused its efforts on cleaning up garbage littering America’s big rivers. In 2003, LL&W launched the next two phases of the project—restoring our rivers to a more natural state by planting trees and removing invasive plants and educating the public on the need to preserve and protect these natural resources.

LL&W has taken its restoration and education efforts to the next level. Beginning in the fall of 2007, LL&W began collecting and planting seeds of native hardwood trees at a nursery created on the property of long-time partner Cargill, at its pork-processing plant in Beardstown, Illinois. Using a rich compost mix produced at the plant as a soil enhancer, LL&W’s goal is to grow 100,000 trees within the next 2-3 years and 1 MILLION trees within the next 5-10 years. All trees will then be replanted along the shorelines and islands of our major waterways, as well as within towns and cities that have joined

Throughout March and April, LL&W will be handing out 100,000 oak trees to interested groups or individuals, free of charge. If you would like to receive free oak trees, please contact Ashley at 309-737-5913 or email Ashley@livinglandsandwaters.org

HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?

LL&W crew needs volunteers to help us wrap our oak tree saplings in March and April 2012. We will wrap every day at our headquarters in East Moline, Tuesday thru Saturday 9am-5pm,and have a 6 day event at the Expo Center. For more information contact Ashley at at 309-737-5913 or email Ashley@livinglandsandwaters.org

For more information visit the Million Tree Campaign Website

http://www.livinglandsandwaters.org/milliontrees/default.htm

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar