Impacts of Cold on EAB??

• Impacts of Cold on EAB??

Tivon Feeley updated 6 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Tivon Feeley

Organizer
    January 7, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I have had several of you send the article below with questions.  Here are some answers from the Research Station.

1.  The temperatures need to be -38 F for a minimum of two consecutive days to cause mortality in emerald ash borer.
    2. Wind chill factors do not affect the beetles.
    3. The beetles will be more susceptible to cold in black ash, white, and then green.  Green ash bark helps insulate the larvae better.

Based on the temperature maps that I see, I do not think that the cold will really impact the EAB population levels. However, a group of researchers tagged downy woodpeckers years ago to see how they followed the EAB migration.  They are reporting that the woodpecker population is on the move.  Obviously, the beetle is not this time of year.  The suspicion is that they are consuming more food because of the cold temperatures and that might be reducing localized population.  Then the woodpeckers keep moving to another area to feed.  So, the cold may indirectly help reduce the EAB populations.

Just food for thought.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2014/01/extreme-cold-may-wipe-out-high-percentage-emerald-ash-borer-larvae/

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar