Cooking with Conifers?

• Cooking with Conifers?

Shane Donegan updated 6 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Shane Donegan

March 3, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Did you know you could use conifers in your cooking in a similar fashion to any other herb you might have lying around?

The normal time for collecting it is in the spring when the fresh, new, young, tender tips are out, which is kind of true with most all of your plants: young, fresh, tender. These do handle themselves very well inasmuch as you can freeze them so you can use them later. But when you’re collecting them, you want to keep in mind that what you’re taking is that year’s growth, so you take it sparingly. You don’t just go in and ravage the tree; you take it here and there because any place you take it from a tree is going to affect that year’s growth. It’s like anything else when you’re pruning, you want to balance it.

You can do something as simple as taking some white pine and infusing it, just putting it into some nice apple cider vinegar, and then storing it for about a month out of sight. Then you have a very nice vinegar that’s very high in vitamin C; you can use it in cooking.

For more recipes, check out this link: Simple Conifer Recipes

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar