A Tree For Southern Iowa with Fall Color Which Rivals Maple

• A Tree For Southern Iowa with Fall Color Which Rivals Maple

Laura Wagner updated 8 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Laura Wagner

August 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This American native tree, commonly known as black tupelo or black gum, is a year-round winner. Its most notable feature is brilliant fall foliage, ranging from scarlet to maroon with touches of yellow and orange. Interesting bark and winter shape add interest to the landscape. Fissured grey bark of mature trees has a rugged, alligator-hide pattern. Pyramidal in youth, it resembles pin oak in shape and becomes more rounded with age, maturing to about 40 feet high and 30 feet wide. Rich green spring and summer foliage stays glossy and fresh through the summer months. Hardy to USDA Zone 5, black gum  is quite adaptable to urban conditions and has no serious disease problems. It is tolerant of compacted, poorly drained and heavy soils.  Be sure to pick a blackgum up this fall at a local nursery, or at a residential tree distribution near you.  It will be offered at the North Liberty, and Linn County Operation ReLeaf residential tree distributions.  Download an order form at:  http://www.iowadnr.gov/Environment/Forestry/UrbanForestry/ResidentialTreePrograms.aspx

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar