Tree removal project on course at Williams

• Tree removal project on course at Williams

Neil updated 8 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Neil

Organizer
    October 19, 2012 at 2:00 pm

There was hesitation in making the decision.

No one knew what the aesthetic outcome would be.

No one wanted to shut down one of the most popular campgrounds in Pagosa Country.

Williams Creek Campground had long been favored by campers, but what was the reason? Some people at the Pagosa Ranger District surmise that it must, surely, at least in part be due to the large amount shade provided by the trees in the dense forest. Perhaps, also, the campers flocked there due to the privacy that the heavily forested campground provides.

Paul Blackman, the Pagosa Ranger District recreation, trails, and wilderness supervisor, said the decision to close the campground and cut over 1,500 trees, the majority of which were Engelmann spruce, came down to safety of the camper, and something had to be done. Regardless of what the aesthetic outcome would be after the cutting, the danger of trees falling due to roots being rotted by Armillaria fungus was too great a risk.

Read full Article

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar