Home Conversations @ The Grove Questions and Answers What was your most satisfying Tree ID?

• What was your most satisfying Tree ID?

Neil updated 6 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • Neil

April 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm

While I have familiarized myself with most the trees native to the Piedmont, occasionally I will run accross a tree that completely stumps me. This was the case the other day, and after much consideration and research of tree books I was finally able to id the tree. It was a blackjack oak. It was made particularly tough because at the time it had not leafed out. The satisfaction I felt from finally being able to identify this tree  was magnificent. So I ask you, what was you most satisfying Tree ID?

By the way, for final id on the blackjack oak, I had to wait for it to leaf out. It still was tricky because the blackjack oak is in the red oak family but has lobed leaves like the white oak family. I felt confident it was a red oak based on the smell and color of wood but the leaves really threw me off. It also is not a typical tree for the area I live in. 

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service. ¬†This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar