Home Conversations @ The Grove Questions and Answers Urban Forest—increasing or decreasing?

• Urban Forest—increasing or decreasing?

• Chris Mest

February 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I have become increasingly concerned about the urban forest. One study last year indicated that in 17 of 20 municipal areas in the U.S. the percentage of canopy has decreased between 2005-2009. Most homeowners I talk to are aware that we need to plant trees but they are not as informed about the importance of protecting our mature trees. Many municipalities allow the removal of healthy mature trees for what I consider no good reason. Even some people who are professional arborists don’t seem to think preserving our matures trees is an issue.

What do you think? Is the urban canopy where you live increasing or decreasing? Can you tell us where you live? Do you have any data to back up what you think?

The idea here is to start a discussion. I have talked to a lot of arborists and homeowners in Chicagoland. Some of them have concerns similar to mine, some of them don’t. Some people are as passionate about trees as me, to some it is just a business. What about you?

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar