Home Conversations @ The Grove Questions and Answers Shoreline, Wa….Tree City?

• Shoreline, Wa….Tree City?

• Michael Bachety

April 24, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hello.

My name is Mike and I was at the city council meeting on April 22, 2013 in Shoreline when a plague was presented by Linden Lampman to the city council for becoming a Tree City.

http://www.shorelineareanews.com/2013/04/tree-city-usa-plaque-awarded-to-city-of.html

There is a sad irony to this. The reason why so many people were sitting in the council room after the presentation was because of what followed in the meeting. The Ronald Methodist Church in Shoreline;

wants to build a 60 unit apartment building on a small piece of property behind their church. To do this, 23 very big 100ft+ evergreen trees would have to be taken down.

(You can copy and paste the link below to see the trees)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=linden+ave+N+%26+179+street+shoreline,+wa&hl=en&ll=47.758672,-122.348417&spn=0.000364,0.000622&sll=47.758267,-122.348406&layer=c&cbp=13,45.23,,0,-15.62&cbll=47.758672,-122.348417&hnear=Linden+Ave+N+%26+N+179th+St,+Shoreline,+King,+Washington+98133&t=h&z=21&panoid=yWK0vGHjI8m8N8lvBNyVHw

The neighborhood is not happy because of the vast size of this building proposal, and with the city changing the setback rule from 15 feet to 0 feet; the developer can build right up to the curb. The fact that this is a low income only housing has the church playing a sympathy card at the expense of apathetic neighbors. They are selling the land, so they have other motives too. Personally, I am not pleased because of how the quiet dynamic of our neighborhood will be changed forever and yet another piece of old nature will be gone. I think it is a great place to build a neighborhood playground amongst the trees for the existing families in the area.

Another sad point to this is the two standards for zoning in Shoreline; commercial and residential. Residential zoning prohibits the cutting down of trees…yeah! Commercial zoning not only has no restriction to cutting trees, it has no requirement to replant any trees, just landscaping…and with 0 foot setback, there will be nothing to landscape either. My comment was that these trees would be saved had they been born on just the other side of the street (Linden Av N) which is residential. Another contradiction is the fact that this large building will be residential, even though it is in commercial zoning.

I just thought the well meaning people within your group should know that they gave a plague to a city council who one hour later gave the go ahead to clear cut 23 beautiful trees, in a city that has multiple sites to build housing for people in need without having to clear cut another old group of trees. Any support would be greatly appreciated by our neighborhood.

Thank you.

(Link below is to contact the Shoreline city council with your thoughts)

http://www.cityofshoreline.com/index.aspx?recordid=10&page=36

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service. ¬†This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar