Home Conversations @ The Grove Questions and Answers Open Data Kit for tree inventories

• Open Data Kit for tree inventories

• Mollie Freilicher

July 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Does anyone have experience using Open Data Kit (ODK) or ODK Collect to conduct a tree inventory? It is a free software that allows you to create a form for collecting data with a mobile device. It is used in various fields from natural resources to public health.

I first read about it in last month’s Arborist News (p.43) and have been spending some time today creating an inventory template, by modifying the i-Tree Streets collection fields.

This seems like it has great potential for inventories for community tree inventories since it is completely customizable (and free!) You can also include photos and collect GPS information.

More information here: http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_odk_gettingstarted.html

If anyone has experience with the software or any tips, it would be great to hear them. 

Thanks!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar