Home Conversations @ The Grove Questions and Answers How did you/ will you celebrate your state’s arbor day? When did your state’s arbor day begin?

• How did you/ will you celebrate your state’s arbor day? When did your state’s arbor day begin?

• Charles Marcus

February 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Florida began celebrating Arbor Day in 1886, following an impassioned speech delivered the previous year at the first Southern Forestry Congress. The state Arbor Day is celebrated on the third Friday in January, which is the first state to do so in the United States. (OK, Louisiana shares that date).

South Carolina Arbor Day was created by legislation in 1934. They celebrate on the first Friday in December, which coincides with the beginning of their tree planting season. Is this the last  state Arbor Day celebration in the US?

Tennessee began around 1875, but not officially until 1946.

Alabama started theirs in 1887. They have an entire Arbor Week, the last full week in February each year.

Kentucky Arbor Day also began in 1887. They celebrate on the first Friday in April.

Oklahoma started celebrating Arbor Day in 1903, four years before they became a state!

Georgia began Arbor Day in 1890, and celebrates each year on the first Friday in February.

Texas commenced Arbor Day in 1889, in Temple, where lots of forestry still takes place.

Let’s hear about YOUR state celebration and origins!!___________

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

Want to learn more about your local community forest?

Join Us
LOGO

American Grove is an online community for sharing knowledge, experience, and insights about the trees and forests that enrich our cities, towns, and neighborhoods nationwide.

Group logo of Maryland Grove
Group Highlight Maryland Grove
Maryland Department of Natural Resources Forest Service.  This group will aim to inform citizens about…
Member Highlight Morgan Garner
My love for the environment has fueled my career as a physical scientist. I am…
Would you like to leave feedback or have a question? Email us, click here.
Skip to toolbar